Friday, June 29, 2012

all the single ladies

"If you are single, after graduation, there isn't one occasion where people celebrate you." 
Says Carrie Bradshaw in one of my favorite Sex and the City episodes, 'A Woman's Right to Shoes.'

Charlotte quickly chimes in with the mention of birthdays! And Carrie says but that's not about you as a single girl. And she's right. As we get older, birthdays become less and less of a big deal. And that's really OK. As long as I get some form of cake and enough Facebook wall posts exclaiming Happy Birthday!! I'm really justified.

But when you are a couple - there are so many occasions where it is about you. You and only you. And by you I mean you and your partner, of course. Not that I've had much experience with all of this, but I've seen enough TV shows, and read enough random blogs, and I know it to be true.

Yesterday, I came upon an absolutely ridiculous idea. Make my relationship status on Facebook 'single' (it had previously been nothing) and see if I could garner some 'likes.' Obviously I would never get as many as when people get into a relationship, with the humongous couple photo, but I want people to celebrate ME. The me that is single, and frankly nowhere near being in a relationship, and who is OK with that.

Yes, I would love to be a part of a couple. I do believe in monogamy and yes I have dreams as big as any romantic comedy.

But that isn't my life right now. And as Nora Ephron (rest in peace) once said:
"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim."  


Yes, yes a thousand times yes. Why mope when there are huge necklaces to wear, and cupcakes to bake, and margaritas to drink and friends to laugh with and yourself to be happy with?

I'm trying my hardest not to be bitter when I see pictures of cute couples on Facebook, and walking down the street and just living their lives because let's face it, people are penguins in that we are drawn to each other. We all want a partner, but there are some of us who will put our life on hold until he waltzes in. Life is too short. And I have a lot of jewelry to wear.

No comments: