Saturday, October 10, 2009

23. Long Bus Rides

This post is inspired by the fact that I spend upwards of seven hours on a bus today, going to and from Goldsmith's, Stonehenge and Bath!

And it's more than rocks.

Anyway, this post is about transportation, not rock formations.

I've taken many a long bus ride in my life. Kanuga and the DC trip in ninth grade stand out. There was also two Disneyworld trips, a ride to Tulsa (in which a large rock (but not Stonehenge) was thrown at the bus and we had to stop for like an hour). Also, "You kids can call me Daddy!" Scariest moment of my life, for those (un)fortunate enough to be there.

So, yes there are downsides to bus trips: limited bathroom breaks (unless you want to brave the complaints if you use the small one in the back), boredom, strange ladies joining the group. Gah and when they're overnight and you just can't get comfortable...

But nonetheless, I do enjoy them. If you're lucky enough to be sitting with a good friend you can chat away and maybe share an iPod. And I've had some really interesting bus ride conversations (anyone remember the intense conversation about the vastness of the universe while in DC?).

But what I love most is probably just the chilling out part. You put on your headphones, or maybe not. Maybe you just stare out the window. And it's awesome. Everyone understands that there's a certain point that you stop talking and everyone daydreams.

Also, I almost always fall asleep during this time. I swear, it's the rocking of the Greyhound - I become a baby and I'm OUT.

No comments: